Monday 19 July 2010

Welcome


This blog is a record of all the lighthouses that I have been to and photographed, at least it will be when I have got it completely up to date. As of now I have visited 47 and the task before the end of 2010 is to get this blog up to date and to visit a few more so I can get up to a nice round total of 50.

I am drawn to lighthouses for where they are as much as what they are. The locations are often in wild and remote parts of coastline and the view of that landscape put into perspective by the lighthouse often creates a dramatic picture which I have tried as best as I can to capture as a record of my visit.

Many of the lighthouses that I have been to are in romantic sounding geographic extremes on the world map – the south westerly point of Africa, the most southern tip of Australia, the most westerly point of mainland Britain etc. (that lighthouse is Ardnamurchan in Scotland and is shown abouve). Lighthouses are often difficult to get to, maybe that adds to the fun. I have been on many long and interesting journeys to find them, although some offer a complete contrast, appearing in an urban landscape in cities like Cape Town, Sydney and Vancouver.

For each lighthouse I will generate a blog with some pictures of it and facts as well as the story of how I got to it. Interestingly I have only been inside one of them; I am more into the view of them shown against the sea and the stories of their history.

I hope that you enjoy this ever expanding travelogue of my lighthouse visits and please add in your comments and stories, particularly if you have visited any of the featured lighthouses.
I have another website of images http://www.paulphoto.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment